East-West Basketball Games Postponed
This week's high school basketball matchups between Waterloo metro rivals East and West have been postponed.
District officials announced the postponement of the junior-varsity and varsity girls games between the Trojans and No. 3-ranked Wahawks on Thursday. The doubleheader was scheduled to be played at 6 PM Friday on Weir-McGraw Court at East's Fred J. Miller Gymnasium.
Both games at East have been moved to Thursday (Feb. 4), starting with the JV matchup at 6 PM.
The boys sophomore and varsity games at West have also been called off Friday night, according to Waterloo Schools officials. They made the postponement about the boys doubleheader just hours before its scheduled 6 PM start at Robert S. Siddens Gymnasium.
The make-up date for the two boys games is set for Monday, Feb. 8, starting with the sophomore contest at 6 PM.
District officials did not give a reason for either postponement.
COVID-19 spectator restrictions will be in place when the games are played. The district's guidelines are as follows:
- Home team’s participating athletes, cheerleaders and coaches will receive four (4) wristbands/vouchers.
- Visiting Team’s participating athletes, cheerleaders and coaches will receive two (2) wristbands/vouchers.
- All spectators must have a school-issued wristband in order to purchase a ticket and enter the game.
- Passes will be honored, but the individual still must have a wristband to enter the game.
- Visiting fans will sit in the upper balcony bleachers located behind the team benches.
- Spectators for the home team will be directed to the upper section once the lower bleachers have reached capacity to maintain social distancing.
- District officials will continue to monitor crowds and make adjustments as necessary.
The games will be livestreamed at the following sites:
At East: Click Here To Watch Athletic Events
At West: Click Here To Watch Athletic Events
East is scheduled to host Waverly-Shell Rock in a sophomore-varsity doubleheader on Saturday. Both games will now be played in the afternoon, before an approaching winter storm arrives. The sophomore game is set to tip-off at 1 PM, followed by the varsity contest at approximately 2:30 PM.