Going On A First Date? Here Is Your First Date Etiquette To Follow
I will be the first to admit that I am NOT an expert when it comes to dating and relationships. Heck I really haven't had a "real" relationship in my life that lasted past two weeks. This is however because I am a stubborn person (that's a whole other story). However the saying goes that those who are on the outside tend to have a better insight and advice when it comes to situations such as dating and relationships.
I know it is 2020 and hard to date with the pandemic going on but that isn't stopping the dating world completely and because of that I feel I need to lend a helping hand to the dating population. I believe there is a certain etiquette to follow and be aware of when it comes to first dates that can really prove to be successful and ask for round 2.
So as we navigate the treacherous waters of the dating world together, check out my list of first date etiquette steps to follow and I wish you the best of luck!
First Date Etiquette
1. Men be gentleman meaning open the doors for women including the car and restaurant, offer to drive, pull the chair out for your date and so on. I don't know where the idea of being a "gentleman" disappeared too but I promise ladies that allowing a man to open a door for you does not mean you are not independent or not a feminist.
2. Remember your manners. Such a disappearing concept it seems. Chew with your mouth closed, don't talk with your mouth full, say please and thank you... you know, common sense.
3. Women don't EXPECT your date to pay for your meal. Be willing to pay for your own.
4. Stay off your phone. There is nothing worse than sitting at a dinner table and having someone on their phone the ENTIRE time. Might as well just take yourself out to eat.
5. Have no expectations. By avoiding expectations whether good or bad, you allow the situation to just evolve naturally and good things could come from this.
6. Avoid drinking to much the first time out. You don't want your date to think you are a drunk and you don't want to embarrass yourself.
7. Be comfortable in your clothing. You always want to dress to impress but don't go over the top to where you are uncomfortable because you will not enjoy the night.
8. Be honest about what you do and don't like whether it is food, drink or activities because by doing or eating something you really like, you will be able to be yourself more.
9. Listen, don't just talk. Make sure you are actively listening and learning about your date rather than just talking all about yourself. It's a two way street to getting to know each other.
10. BE YOURSELF. If you can't be yourself on the first date, then that is a bad omen for the future. Nerves are normal but being someone you think your date wants rather than yourself will only start an endless style of pretending. Be proud of yourself.