Portugal. The Man received a very warm welcome to Iowa City. Literally. The band's tour bus caught fire Tuesday afternoon prior to their gig at the University of Iowa.

Fire crews responded to the scene on South Madison Street at about 4:45 p.m., approximately two hours before the band's concert at the Iowa Memorial Union. The block in front of the IMU was blocked off, and students were asked to use the sidewalk in front of the parking ramp.

UI Department of Public Safety Lieutenant Joe Lang told The Daily Iowan that flames were about 20 feet high when officials arrived.

Nobody was injured and no one was inside the bus at the time of the fire. Bruce McAvoy, fire safety coordinator for the University of Iowa Department of Public Safety, said the blaze was caused by a problem with the bus' air conditioning system.

Ironically, this image is on the cover of Portugal. The Man's latest album. Art imitating life?

Atlantic Records
Atlantic Records

Follow Slater on FacebookTwitter and Instagram, and listen live @ Q923.net or with the NEW Q92.3 mobile app!

More From Q98.5